CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Role Play in my classroom

My classroom is a perfect place for playing with language and voice. I really like to use reader's theatre a couple times a year. Sometimes we set up TV interviewes or write our own scripts/plays. It is perfect for writing assignments using different voice and practicing roles and language that is not normally "your own".
This week I decided that I would like to practice what I am learning in this class right away. I am afraid that the role play will get left behind and forgotten. So I have set up a Moodle course for my own role play: "Homework - friend or foe". My 9th grade students came up with the idea of debating the homework issue. Ninth grade is very different from the rest of the middle school experience, and right now my students really have a lot to say about the issue. We'll see how it goes. They are really excited to take this on, and I am thrilled to play a student who really hates homework. I will keep you posted on our developments...

5 comments:

  1. Natasha,
    Do you find that your students are less hesitant to try an unfamiliar word or phrase as someone else in a role play? The Moodle course sounds exactly like what Jeffrey Wilhelm (9http://www.boisestate.edu/english/jwilhelm/) was discussing in our reading of the Forgotten R when he challenged us to find an issue that is real to our students to shape the research, reading and writing around and to integrate many standards into one cohesive unit. Looking forward to hearing what the students say and learn. Thanks for applying what I just read and making it come alive in Edina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reader's Theatre is such a fun idea. It crosses all cultures and grade levels. Do you find that your ELL students bring in their own cultures in the role play or assimilate more to their environment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,
    Not really. My reader's theater has always been sort of structured. Even when they write their own script, they have never tried to bring their own culture in. We have started a role-play in the classroom, and only one student chose a character based on his own cultural background. I let them create their own story and got very creative results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to start doing more reader's theater. I have been told by some teachers and students that when I do activities like that people think they are too elementary. I admit that those few comments have a big impact on what I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your online role-play "Homework Friend or Foe?" is an awesome use of the wiki, and the students seem so engaged, writing paragraphs upon paragraphs. What a great way to work towards fluency.

    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete