CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

One more role play reflection

Well, here I am again. Trying to process things - late as usual. Somehow I can't process things in a scheduled format.
Anyway, I was just reading my students' postings in our role play. Lots of chuckles... They are so very interesting! My students, I mean. They seem very casual and relaxed in this form of writing. Maybe because I am one of the participants and taking on a role of a student. One of the kids told me today that it is really cool to be able to call me by my "first name". And having me call him/her Mr. or Ms. I think that they are so used to chatting with each other on face book that it is hard to let that piece of it go. But then all of a sudden, they would post a real gem. I am not sure that I want to shut down the playful side of the "play". I think it is OK for them to enjoy it in their own way. As long as they are trying to work on the actual assignment...
Well, so far students are really enjoying this form of writing. They were really animated and involved. And I think that this is the most writing they produced on a prompt...

3 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your initiative and the students' role play. I think choosing an authentic topic is key, just as it would be in a face to face discussion. But it sounds as if the students have gotten deeper into the topic than they had in classroom discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you went ahead and did it with a Wiki. I come up with all kinds of reasons not to do it if I cannot absolutely do it the way it is done in class. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I really appreciate it! Sometimes it is really scary to try a new thing - you never know what you are going to get. But this time they are actually doing a really nice job with this. We are still evolving, but anyway, the kids are working and (hopefully) learning.

    ReplyDelete