CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 28, 2009

What is Literacy in the Digital Age

I received my new issue of NEA Today Magazine. Cover story - What is Literacy in the Digital age. It reiterates all of the ideas we have been discussing - motivation, creativity, ability to collaborate across the globe. What struck a chord with me is the argument whether technology is distracting young people from reading books and taking time away from learning proper grammar and"smart" writing. Sometimes I wonder when it is a "good" time to bring in technology to the classroom. Is technology complimenting my instruction or takinig time away from teaching students to decode text and practicing essential reading skills? Do I need to first get a student to a certain reading level so that he/she can more comfortably navigate the ever-changing world of Web 2.0? I really like to use multi-media resources in my classroom - not only do they break up the routine, but they are also a great visual tool for my students. Creation on content on the web is another story - much more time consuming, and that is where I start debating how much time I should (and could) devote to that. Well, I guess, I will keep thinking about that...

1 comment:

  1. You make a great point about being thoughtful when implementing technology. When planning my own teaching, I often ask myself "Why am I using this?" Will it actually help students to better understand a concept, or am I just using it to entertain?

    When working with ELL students, I wonder how using technology software such as VoiceThread might actually motivate students to participate because it incorporates use of images rather than being so language focused, which can be intimidating to a language learner.

    ReplyDelete