CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Using Blogs in the Classroom

I think that I would like to try to use the blog in my classroom for literature discussions... It would have to be an in-school type of work (most of my students would not have computer access at home), but I think that we could spend 30 minutes once or twice a week working on a blog... Fictional blogs sound interesting too... It is so difficult for my students to bring their own voice into writing. Role-play would provide this opportunity.
What I am wondering about is this. I can see how a group of kids (30 or so) could get into a nice discussion on an issue. My classes are a lot smaller, and I am worried that they will be very self-conscious about publishing something with spelling and grammar mistakes. I have kids who have great ideas about something, they get ready to write, they can easily tell you what they want to write down... But when it comes to the actual act of writing, they can't do it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sensitivity to your students’ frustrations and insights touch my heart. Do you think writing in a cartoon format would be motivating and free some of your students to be less self critical? The pictures would be text as well as the dialogue. It's shorter and might not be as frustrating since it uses social language? A teacher at Highlands shared a site with me and I'll dig it out if it makes sense. Public errors are embarrassing; such as the comment I just removed because of a missing word! I might have caught it in a graphic format? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete